Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I moved to Africa...

I moved to Africa….

I am currently living in Nyanza, Rwanda and undergoing a 10 week intensive language, technical, and cross cultural training to prepare for serving 2 years in the Peace Corps. In October of 2009 I stepped onto a plane bound for East Africa and stepped off it with the hopes of fulfilling a successful and fulfilling two years of service under the United States Peace Corps Rwanda. Rwanda is an extremely small country in the heart of Africa, it is smaller than the state of Maryland. Although just south of the equator because of its mountainous landscape the temperature is rather pleasant, with an average of 50-70 degrees year around. Rwanda is bordered by  Uganda on the north, Tanzania on the east, Burundi on the south and Congo on the west. The little bit of Rwanda that I have seen so far on my journey has made me appreciate and understand why this tiny idyllic country is named the “land of a thousand hills.” Most of the landscape seen thus far has been lush green hills full of vegetation mixed with tiny villages built into the hills hidden along the rolling countryside that is flourishing with plants.  
            Moving to Rwanda is a great adventure as well as a wonderful opportunity. Rwanda is a post conflict country but is rapidly and successfully rebuilding. As part of its restructure the government of Rwanda has implemented that the school systems switch from French speaking to English speaking.  My job as a Peace Corps volunteer will be to not only teach my own English classes but also assist the school and teachers in the transition to an English speaking institution.
            My first weeks in Rwanda have been a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. A new land, language and people is exhilarating but also extremely exhausting. I live in a house with 9 other Americans and two Rwandans that serve as language and cross cultural facilitators. All day, everyday I am in class, I have language class multiple times a day, technical training, cross cultural, guest speakers, safety and security and medical sessions.
            Another key component to Peace Corps training is host families visits. Two nights a week we are required to spend the evening with our assigned host family that lives in Nyanza.  Although extremely awkward and nerve racking at the beginning I have begun to enjoy my evening out with my host family. My host family consists of a mother and father along with 6 children with whom 4 still live at the house. Carine who is 5 has a boisterous personality and has become fond of me and my silly sounding Kinyarwanda. Dorine and Willy who are 11 and 12 are not so sure about my presence but still find most things that I do very humorous. Serge the oldest boy, recently came home from boarding school and has relieved much of the silent tension by helping translate a few words of Kinyarwanda into English . The family has been very welcoming to me in their house and every visit runs smother as I start to pick up more language and culture. My host mother has started to teach me to cook and I now understand why cooking a meal or even getting a meal at a restaurant is at the very minimum a three hour extravaganza. Cooking a meal for an entire family on a charcoal fire, without running water or many utensils is even harder then it sounds.   
Although in the market there seem to be a variety of different food choices, it seems that the same thing is eaten everyday and always prepared in the same manner.  There is some starch, some more starch and some more starch. Potatoes, bread, rice, beans, and plantains are guaranteed to be at most meals. Everything tastes somewhat similar and could be called “mush.”   Fruit is eaten at the end of meals which is my favorite part of meal time and always delicious. Avocados are also in abundance here and are served with many meals. Tea is served at most meals as well as a tea break is given at around 10:30 everyday.
The way the Rwandan time system works reflects their day. They have a 12 hour system with 7 am being the start (0 hour) and ending at 7 pm being 12 (hour).  Before class at around 6am I run most morning and by this time the sun is up and the town is awake and bustling. The sun sets at around 6pm and most people are then retired to their houses. Although Nyanza has electricity, some street lights, cars and motos, the darkness here seems much darker then at home. The street lights are very limited, and if they are working which seems to be sporadic, they produce very limited light. Walking at night which is anytime after 6pm is difficult and a flashlight is a necessity.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing experience. I had a high school friend who spent a summer in Zimbabwe and it sounds quite similar. Take lots of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Heather! What an amazing description of your first month! Sounds incredibly different yet exciting. You are such a powerful writer- can't wait to hear more! Am thinking of you and your family on Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Heather, facinating! Would love to hear about the animals in the area. I just found out that Maria Schriver (Arnold Swchar??? wife) her father started the Peace Corps, any idea if true or not? You stay safe lady & I skiied one for you yesterday! I hope you don't mind I will share your link with Eric Ladd who owns the Weekly now, if you haven't already done so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I am so excited for you! I look forward to reading your next blogs! What a wonderful experience for you. Lisa

    ReplyDelete